Pets entering the State of Hawaii can fly directly to the Kona International Airport if specific requirements are met. This program is called the “Direct Release Program.” You must review and complete all of the requirements for the 5 Day or Less Program and the Direct Release Program to qualify.
Please note that for the Direct Release Program:
- Dogs and cats must arrive at the Kona International Airport directly from the continental US.
- The Quarantine Station must receive paperwork & payment at least 30 days prior to arrival.
- You must secure the services of a qualified inspector to meet your pet at the airport.
- The inspector is paid a fee separate from the Quarantine Station
Ali’i Veterinary Hospital can inspect dogs & cats according to the criteria & schedule below IF we have availability. You must confirm with us BEFORE booking your flight:
- Alaska Airlines Cargo and United Airlines Cargo
- Accompanying people as baggage on Alaska Airlines
- Accompanying people in a cabin on United, Alaska, American, Southwest Airlines & private aircraft
- Private Charters, Kona Express, Hawaii Shuttle & Kona Shuttle on Fridays, Saturdays & Sundays
- Private Charters/Kona Express/Kona and Hawaii Shuttle fee is $500/first pet, $100/additional pet on the same flight
Direct Release Inspection Schedule:
- Tuesday-Friday, 6pm-10:30pm: $400/first pet, $100/additional pet on the same flight
- Friday, 9am-5pm: $350*/first pet, $100/additional pet on the same flight
- Saturday, 9am-10:30pm: $400*/first pet, $100/additional pet on the same flight
- Sunday, 9am-7pm: $400*/first pet, $100/additional pet on the same flight
*Private Charters/Kona Express/Kona and Hawaii Shuttle fee is $500/first pet, $100/additional pet on the same flight
DO NOT BOOK YOUR FLIGHT UNTIL CONFIRMING THAT WE ARE AVAILABLE. Fill out the form below to check our availability for inspection. Your request below does NOT mean that you have a booking with us, it is ONLY an inquiry. Email responses take 24-72 hours. If you do not have an email account, you can FAX the information below to 808-329-8997, and include contact information so that we can contact you. FAX communication will result in a longer turnaround time, up to one week.
Hawaii is rabies-free….and we’d like to keep it that way.
A quarantine program has been in place in Hawaii for over 100 years to help keep pets and people safe. The Animal Quarantine Branch of the State of Hawaii Department of Agriculture is responsible for administering Hawaii’s Rabies Quarantine Program. The quarantine period for dogs and cats entering Hawaii with no preparation is 120 days. Depending on your travel plans and your ability to prepare your pet prior to arriving in Hawaii, there are options for decreasing the quarantine requirement substantially.
Please visit the Animal Quarantine Branch website at http://hdoa.hawaii.gov/ai/aqs/ for more information.
Traveling with pets to other countries can be very complex. We highly recommend consulting with your veterinarian at least 6 months BEFORE your travel date. Depending on where you plan to go and whether you are returning to Hawaii, a Pet Transport Company may be recommended.
The key information that you will need to know to begin preparing for international travel includes:
- Dates of travel
- A list of your travel route, including all seaports or airports that you will travel through to get to your destination
- Whether your pet has a microchip, verification of the date that the microchip was implanted and whether the microchip is ISO-Compliant
- Documentation of most recent vaccinations from a veterinarian
The USDA has an excellent website to get started with learning requirements for travel to foreign countries and territories at: https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/pet-travel Most people start with this website, then consult with their veterinarian to begin the preparation process.