In addition to the Pet Health Care Library, we have provided the following
links to websites that provide some great information on a variety of topics
related to veterinary medicine and pet health care.
- American Veterinary Medical Association This site is a good starting point to learn more about a variety of topics, including feline injection-site sarcomas and the latest subjects in veterinary medicine
- American Association of Feline Practitioners The AAFP is like the American Medical Association for cat doctors, and has good information regarding feline health.
- Choosing and caring for your new puppy This is a nice starter guide of things that you should consider when you are thinking about getting a puppy.
- Cat Care If you are experiencing a behavioral issue with your cat, visit your veterinarian right away. Sudden changes in behavior may be related to an underlying health condition
- Dog Breeds A quick reference guide to many breeds of dogs, including photos and brief descriptions of each breed's characteristics
- Dog Care Explore the canine behavior tips section from Dumb Friends League. Sudden behavioral changes may be health related.
- Grief Counseling This website provides guidance in preparing for and coping with the loss of a pet. It is a great resource.
- Hawaii Island Humane Society Find out more information on the hard work that goes on at your local HIHS. Perhaps you would like to help.
- Heartworm Society Everything you ever wanted to know about heartworm disease in dogs or cats can be found here!
- National Animal Poison Control Center This is the website of the National Animal Poison Control Center. It includes a library, links to other sites, and phone numbers for the poison control center.
- Rainbow Bridge Anyone who has ever lost a pet should visit this wonderful site. It is a terrific tribute to our lost family members.
- The Cat Fanciers' Association (CFA) The Cat Fanciers' Association website has lots of pictures, as well as information on cat breeds, cat care, upcoming cat shows, and much more.
- Toxic Plants Worried about toxic plants in your pets environment? The ASPCA provides this useful reference of many potentially hazardous plants.
- Quarantine in Hawaii The rules and regulations regarding bringing pets into Hawaii are complex. We recommend that you visit this official State of Hawaii Quarantine website, then call us with questions. In order to help you, we will need to know where your pet is coming from, when you plan to travel, and whether or not your pet has had any rabies vaccinations during his or her lifetime. These vaccinations must be documented by a veterinarian.
- USDA Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service The USDA maintains this website with information on a variety of animal health related topics, including the latest news on such things as Mad Cow Diseases, foot and mouth disease, and many other things.